I hope you’re having a wonderful start to 2018! I’ve been slowly reorienting myself to a regular week of balancing work and writing and other life things. It’s been going well so far!
I’m here today to share with you my goals for 2018 and this January specifically. There are a lot of them! But I’m determined to see them done!
- START A REVIEW BLOG
- Excitingly enough, this is already done! You can find my new book review blog here: BOOKSSPRINGETERNAL
- QUERY PIRATE EYES TO AGENTS
- I had started this process last year, but it led nowhere. Persevere, I say!
- EDIT HERITAGE TO A FINAL DRAFT AND QUERY TO AGENTS
- Though I am querying Pirate Eyes, I believe that Heritage, my beloved MG story, will be the one to earn me representation.
- EDIT DESTINIES ENTWINED TO A FINAL DRAFT AND QUERY TO AGENTS
- My fairytale retelling has become a passion project for me! I finished the first draft in December and I am devoting myself this year to editing it to its best!
- FINISH WRITING THE PHANTOM SQUAD AND EDIT IT TO A SECOND OR THIRD DRAFT – HAVE IT IN CP HANDS
- I’m a quarter into this paranormal Victorian novel and it’s changed in so many ways, even though I had outlined it. That’s my writing life. Plantser all the way.
- WRITING A SHORT STORY FOR AN ANTHOLOGY
- So excited to say that I’ll be supplying a retelling of a French Canadian legend for an anthology due out at the end of next year! I’ll be writing it over the course of this year. It’s supposed to be between 5-7k so it shouldn’t take me long.
- WRITE FIRST DRAFT OF MUSICAL SCRIPT
- Another surprise passion project. Over the last few weeks I’ve been outlining a musical based off a fairy tale. I already have a good grasp on the songs and the story line.
- FINISH FIRST DRAFT OF THE DESERT KNIGHT
- My NaNoWriMo2016 project remains incomplete. I’m nearly halfway through it and I will see it done this year. I still love the story, but I’ll need to rethink a bit of it before I jump into writing it. A project for later this year.
- WRITE FIRST DRAFT OF INÌONAOFA #3
- I am so proud of Eléonore and Heralding and I am excited to write the rest of this planned 5-book series, but I don’t have any expectations of publishing the third book this year. I’ll be working on an outline for most of the year and hopefully finishing a first draft before the end of the year.
- EDIT THE BROTHERS DARWIN SCRIPT TO A FINAL DRAFT
- This script is a family drama (not my usual go-to genre) but it’s one I’ve been working on for eight years off and on and I’m ready to finally get it out to agents this year.
- OUTLINE A SCRIPT TO WRITE NEXT YEAR
- This is a fantasy script à la Lord of the Rings with kickass female leads. I need to do a lot of world-building and organizing of thoughts. I’ll iron out the details as the year goes on.
- OUTLINE AND WRITE SPECIAL SECRET PROJECT WITH SISTER
- I want to say more about this. I can’t yet. But soon. It’s something we’ve been working on for eight years! And it’s one of our proudest works!
- PRACTICE THE VIOLIN/PLAY MORE GUITAR – WRITE MORE MUSIC
- I used to compose a lot, but I’ve let my passion for music fall to the side in the last year. I want to embrace it again.
- TRAVEL TO THE UK
- This would be a big thing ticked off my bucket list.
- READ 100 BOOKS
- I read 120 in 2016 and 117 in 2017, but I have 730 unread books on my shelf, friends. Time to get that number down.
- WATCH 60 MOVIES
- There are so many to be excited about this year. I still haven’t watched The Shape of Water or The Last Jedi. So they’ll be top of my to-watch list. But there’s also Black Panther, Infinity Wars, Annihilation, A Wrinkle in Time, Isle of Dogs, Ocean’s 8, Incredibles 2, Mowgli, Mary Queen of Scots & Fantastic Beasts 2 to look forward to!
- LAUNCH SPECIAL SERVICE WITH SISTER
- Coming VERY SOON!
- LIVE HEALTHY (EAT HEALTHY, HEALTHY WEIGHT, BALANCE IN LIFE)
- I know this is low on the list, but it’s one of my most important goals this year! I need to take better care of myself. We all do!
- LEARN A THIRD LANGUAGE (ITALIAN OR JAPANESE)
- I already know a bit of Italian because it’s my dad’s first language, so I’m hoping to work on it and to start learning Japanese.
- PUBLISH MORE BLOG POSTS THAT HELP OTHER WRITERS
- I am going to get this done this year. I already started drafting a MASTERING series, and there’s the CRAFTING THE SERIES posts I have planned to. I’m devoting myself back to this lovely community. Hope you’ll join me too!
- MARKET ELÉONORE AND HERALDING TO WIDER AUDIENCE
- Again, this is superbly important for me. I love my Iníonaofa series and I need to see it grow.
- SUBMIT AT LEAST SIX SHORT STORIES FOR CONTESTS OR MAGAZINES
- One every two months. Should be doable!
Are you still with me? 😉
If you are, here are my specific goals this January:
- Finish my current edit of Heritage
- Type up the handwritten first draft of Destinies Entwined
- Launch service with my sister
- Post at least three blog posts here to help other writers
- Read 4-5 books
- Watch 5-6 movies
- Write one short story
- Finish character sketches for secret project with my sister
What are your goals this year, friends? And this month? Let me know what you hope to accomplish so I can cheer you on! Whatever your goals, keep believing in yourself and you can achieve them! I know it!
May inspiration flow like ink upon your quill,